Building Blocks of Product Innovation
The ChallengeCreating a plant-based smoothie that is protein enriched and low in sugar with a fruit juice base whilst achieving the desired mouthfeel, texture and taste
Problem SolvingProteins can have an aftertaste that needs masking. Sugar reduction leads to reduced mouthfeel and more watery texture.
SolutionProtein enriched ingredient blend containing proteins, fibers, texturizers and sweeteners looking for synergies with enhanced nutritional labelling and cost-saving initiatives:
- Pea and fava protein combination delivers a neutral taste profile, without aftertaste or colouring
- Fibers deliver excellent water absorption and moisture holding capacity while improving shelf life
- Corn starch and pectin deliver a great mouthfeel and texture in an acidic environment
- Sweetness blend delivers a balanced sweet taste with lower calories.
Our brief was to create a clean-label protein powder superfood blend for the US market with the goal of positively impacting and improving the athletic performance and training ability of both amateur and professional female athletes.
The ChallengeProduct innovation and education around female-focused nutrition has ample room for improvement with regards to the research carried out on nutritional ingredients and dietary supplements in particular. This looks to be a strong growth category as more and more females work on optimising their bodies for endurance, strength and speed. The challenge for brands will be to create nutritious products with a compelling value proposition that aligns with female nutrition goals around performance and strength.
- Strategic Innovation Workshop
- Innovation Management
- Market & Consumer Research
- New Product Development Planning
- Through a stability study, and by aligning their innovation processes and technology with their goals, we helped the company minimise the potential for denaturation and achieve their desired 18-month shelf-life (stable in all climates), while also taking into consideration the impact of COVID-19 on the dietary supplements and performance nutrition markets.
- Our investigation was also able to understand the total consumer experience by identifying the key success factors and primary drivers of liking of such a blend, which enabled us to create a customised formulation based on the sensory preferences of their target customer, allowing them to fully commercialise the science behind the female-focused ingredients included.
- Following our “compliance by design” approach, we aligned the brand with the appropriate FDA approved nutritional and health claims in the US.
- Identified the general costs incurred in each value chain step and reached the deadlines and KPI’s set on-time and within budget.