With the goal of supporting a new start-up in the Irish and UK health & wellness space, iNewtrition was tasked with investigating the potential market opportunity for developing a functional confectionery product based on a unique nutritional profile and blend of bioactives to position the new brand as a differentiated challenger in their category.
Initiating this project shortly after Covid-19 began, immediately presented challenges in the area of developing and launching a new product due to constantly changing data, rules, regulations and restrictions. We were able to successfully carry everything out remotely through video sessions, and the ability to work together on this project throughout lockdown enabled the brand to get a head start in an extremely competitive category.
- Market & Consumer Research
- New Product Development Planning
- Project Management Support
- Food Science & Nutritional Expertise
Using RACI models and timelines with key accountabilities for the project and based on a design-thinking and consumer-centric innovation approach, we worked directly with the Founders all the way from idea stage to development to build a product based on key market and consumer trends and insights. This included assessing unique formulations and nutrient profiles, validating the correct quantity of ingredients and bioactives, assisting in the processing and prototyping stages, as well as analysing appropriate delivery systems. We also evaluated disruptive packaging trends, features, and opportunities, and established the appropriate regulatory/compliance requirements to better understand the scalability and economic viability of producing this product in the most cost-effective and sustainable way for the Irish and UK markets.
- Through in-depth product research and market exploration, we were able to gauge a deeper understanding of the future competitive market landscape and positioning of key players, as well as supply and demand factors using foresight analysis.
- Validated their product idea, and identified the correct bioactive ingredients, formulation and technology to enhance bioavailability and develop product USP’s.
- Carried out innovation profiling at the prototyping stage, identified new business opportunities, and established suitable contract manufacturers and partners for growth and full scale-up which enabled us to maximise the brand’s commercial value potential.
- Our regulatory support framework through a compliance-by-design approach allowed the brand to avail of all relevant nutrition and health claims in the UK.
- Provided an overview of the tender process and key requirements for selection of packaging and label suppliers which helped them source and create sustainable packaging options that aligned with their values and future marketing strategy.